Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Little to say...

Yo sup. I really don't have all that much to say today, but I wanted to type out a little something while it was still half in my mind. I always think about things I want to blog about later while I'm in class and most of the time I forget it. Which I have today, at least for the most part.

The thing I was thinking about in class (well, actually while I was doing some reading on the train) was what a shame it is that people don't vote. I know, I know, you probably feel like you've heard this from me before, and this is most likely true! I just don't get it though. The reason I was thinking about it was because I'm doing a little reading on the origins of the civil rights movement in the US in the sixties (I'm leading a discussion on this on my birthday in class). And those poor people had to die and be arrested and beaten and fired and evicted and shot in their homes and dragged out of their homes and lynched JUST SO THEY COULD VOTE (well, so they could register to vote), among other things of course. And so many people don't feel like voting is worth the trouble. I just don't get it I guess. I suppose that probably has a lot to do with the fact that so much of politics today is all the same (they'll all screw you or whatever), but I just think that's why you HAVE to vote. Whatever though. I would love to be able to fix that, but I wish I knew how.

Otherwise, let's see here! I do like my history class quite a bit. I'm the only girl in my class (did I say this already, I think so). Today we had our first two discussions and I liked them a lot, it's fun to sit around and talk about stuff. There's this idiot in my class though and today we were talking about Native Americans and the Dawes Act and the reservation system (and so on). Anyways, he said something about how he's surprised the English never put the French on reserves in Quebec, and ha ha, we all got a little laugh (this is Alberta after all) and someone else said that would definitely be the best way to deal with them, blah blah blah. And then the first guy goes, I'd really like to know why they never tried that. I'm like, SERIOUSLY?!?!?!? The first thing that popped into my head out of the laundry list of why that wouldn't work and makes no sense whatsoever was that the French (of the France variety) probably wouldn't like that very much and would probably be super upset about that. Anyways, I couldn't believe he said that, it was just the most ridiculous thing I'd heard in a while! Maybe I'm nuts, maybe it would have worked out that way if the English had decided to go for it, but I thought it was pretty flipping nuts.

Tomorrow is Jord's first tattoo appointment and I know that I've told him a thousand and a half times, but I'm really going to miss his arm. I don't know why I feel sad about it, but I sort of do. Anyways, I'm excited to see it (probably Friday).

Stampede is SOOOO busy at work! It's just crazy, crazy, crazy! The lineups at TicketMaster are just unreal! It's somewhat nice that it's busy because then there's stuff to do and that makes the days go faster at least in some ways, but I will be pretty happy when it's done for!

I really have nothing else to say! Happy summer! Happy Stampede!

<3

1 comment:

Natalie said...

i hope he likes his tattoo!